Thursday, February 1, 2007

Lucky Number 7


7...what a number. 1 more than 6, 1 less than 8. So good a number that Boston Bruins great Ray Bourque wore 2 of them on his hockey jersey (77). Seven...so good that it's the "luckiest" number of them all. There are 7 days in a week and 7 dwarfs who help snow white. Charles Dickens was born on Feb 7th (1812). Matches were first sold on April 7th (1827 in England). Billy Graham was born on Nov 7 (1918). 7...what a great number.

I got to thinking about all the books in the Bible that have a 7th chapter. (thank you Jon for the idea) In each of them a command or vital life teaching is taught. I've listed some of them below. God commands, We listen. That's what life is right? I'm sure you wondering why I am going on and on about the number 7? Well it is 2007. And what a better way to celebrate the "lucky" number 7...then by having 7 children :) God willing we will indeed have that many. 2 Biological, 2 domestically adopted and 3 adopted from Liberia. Augustus' parents were tracked down and they relinquished their rights to him...as well as his 5 year old brother and 8 year old sister. Guess who will probably be coming to live with us? Yep, Augustus (2 or 3 yrs old) and his 5 year old brother and 8 year old sister.

Taking a step in obedience of the Lord is sometimes easy (Mathew 7 - don't judge others), sometimes it's hard (Judges 7 - Hey Gideon, go slay an army with only 300 men) and sometimes it so over your head and out of the realms of understanding (Genesis 7 - Yea Noah, God here and I'm thinking about drowning out everything I created, so how about you go build a boat, put your family on it and every animal, bird and crawly thing. Oh why don't you stay on there until I tell you it's clear to get off of it. Super, thanks!).

If God provides these 3 new children to us, I will categorize this blessing/command as totally over my head. That being said, if you were feeling the need to pray for something, feel free to pass up a prayer of peace and sanity over our house. I don't like asking for prayers, but this adventure we are about to embark on, it's larger than any one we have ever been on. God has put us at ease about this decision, but that doesn't mean it'll be easy or doubt won't creep in. I pray that he will continuously prepare our hearts and minds for the naysayers, the adversity, the stress, the good times, the bad times, the funny looks of strangers, the gossip, the financial obligations, the nights of tears, the nights of giggles, the dances, the games, the unity of our family.

I'll be writing more about this as the process goes along.

Psalm 7:17 (of course it's 7:7teen) - I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

God is Good!

---Some of the Chapter 7's from the Bible------

Genesis 7 - God commands Noah to build the ark
Exodus 7 - God commands Moses and Aaron to say everything He commands them. God commands Aaron to tell Pharaoh to let the Israelites out of Egypt
Numbers 7 - God commands Moses to accept offerings at the Tent of Meeting and give them to the Levites as required
Deuteronomy 7 - God gives His command to Israel for driving out the nations
Joshua 7 - God commands Joshua to remove from Israel that which is devoted to destruction
Judges 7 - God commands Gideon to defeat the midianites with 300 men
2 Samuel 7 - God promises David that his name will be made great, and God will establish a house for him.
2 Chronicles 7 - God commands Solomon to observe His commands and decrees. In return God promises to establish Solomon’s royal throne
Nehemiah 7 - God commands Nehemiah to assemble those who will return
Ecclesiastes 7 - God teaches us about wisdom
Zechariah 7 - god commands Zechariah to love, show mercy and do not think evil of each other
Matthew 7 - Jesus teaches on judging others and if you ask you shall receive, knock and the door will be opened
Luke 7 - Jesus teaches that through faith He will heal, raise the dead and bless us
John 7 - Jesus teaches that all who believe in Him, the streams of living water will flow from within him
Acts 7 - The prophet is quoted "The earth in my footstool, Has not my hand made all these things?"

4 comments:

Emily said...

You amaze me :) I love the ideas of the 7s in the bible! You could make that into a book you know! I am sure with 7 kids we will have enough funny experiences to fill one. I wouldn't want to be on this journey with anyone but you.

stepan said...

I agree, Emily...that would be a GREAT book! I think the coolest thing is that God has done so much to prepare you both for this already...it's like He knew or something. I look forward to sharing apple pie with such a large and diverse family soon.

stepan

Anonymous said...

Know that you will be covered in prayer by this sister! I think you guys are wonderful and I so admire your obedience and courage to take this step. When those nay sayers come knocking, call me, and I will answer the door! :)
~HollyAnn

HollyAnn said...

OK, I am not sure it is blogger etiquete to leave more than one comment on a single post, but while reading Chasing Daylight by Erwin McManus, you and Emily came to mind and I had to share this on this post! McManus says, "One of the wonderful results of seizing divine moments is that it pulls so many others into theirs.....What you may never see is the number of people who are pulled into God's purpose for their lives through the wind shear of your obedience." That is how I see your decision. I believe it is the beginning of a wave of families stepping up, walking in faith and bringing home more of God's children from Liberia. Especially as the man of the family, I am so inspired by your willingness to be on your face before God and face your fears head on and agree to walk by faith! In adoption it is usually the wife hearing the call, and the husband who fears...its just the way God wires us! You have set the bar high for the fathers/husbands whose wives are being called to adopt these children! McManus later says, "I'm convinced more of us would like to be known by faith, but resist the tedious journey of being faithful." Thank you, Randy, for not resisting the journey of being faithful! Ok, I'm pretty sure this is longer than any comment should be, I think this might qualify as a post to YOUR blog!! :) But I want to encourage you and let you know that God is already using your obedience and faithfulness to speak to and encourage me in my call to adoption! Thank you!