Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Liberia - Thoughts Part 6



Day 8 -- shopping day
Last night Kelly and I talked about our testimonies and shared stories about families. It was cool to get to know him some more. Today is breakfast then out into town to shop. I'm not sure what follows that. I'll write more later, I'm going to try and retrieve my notes.
--
At breakfast right now and I don't know what's wrong with me, but I am super sad. I saw Wife put a comment up on the blog. Made me tear up of course. I'm really reserved and quiet and need to kick myself out of this. I just got so sad last night seeing the pastors kids sleeping on the floor, because I was sleeping in one of their rooms. Ugh. This is the saddest I've been in a long time. I don't remember being this sad in Romania. Lord, please be with me today as I need your help to get through this day and not be a distraction to the team. Father I pray that this sadness will fall away and the joy you have for us will be in me. You've made me father to bring smiles to faces and the source of my smiles lord is the provisions you have for me. This time away from those I love, I do for you and I am grateful to be given this opportunity. I love you father, amen.
--
So we did some shopping and I got everyone an African outfit and a few necklaces for myself. We are actually going to the beach right now. Kelly and Melissa are meeting up with a consulate to talk about the three kids adoption. We are actually going to go in and swim a bit. It should feel pretty good. The main street market place was so busy and crowded. Mainly people were selling cheesy American junk. But we did find some cool, what looked like authentic stuff. We are driving right now and its crazy how much these people honk their horns. They honk at intersections, when passing walkers, passing cars...its so weird and loud.
--
So sitting at the dinner table and today was pretty awesome. We went shopping and this morning interviewed pastor Wesley. It was great to hear his testimony and his thoughts on his ministries. This afternoon we went back to the beach. And I can tell people I have ridden the waves off the coast of Liberia. Ryan, Mike and I went swimming in the Atlantic ocean and body surfed on the waves. I'm not that great at it, but it was so amazing. Life long memories and stories were made from this afternoon. We leave tomorrow night. A night in Brussels then home. Hallelujah
--
Last night in Liberia. I'm sad to go but happy to be coming home. The people we have been staying with are so generous and nice. I saw tonight the boy who was sleeping on the floor last night, again on the floor. But this time at least he was on the pillow I gave him. Still so sad. That being said, god really laid on my heart tonight that we put humanistic levels of severity on sin. In the same way we put levels of severity on good as well. Isaiah 6 says "the whole earth is full of his glory". And it is so true. Put aside the poverty, dirt, trash and run downess and see that god is providing food and water and shelter. It isn't being provided the way we are accustomed to and that doesn’t mean we don't work to make life better. It just means that god is truthful in his word and his world is full of his glory. Not sure I explained that right or not, but it made sense to me and helped me feel a tiny bit better about this place.

--
Random thought before I go to sleep: the UN lands there helicopters right across the street. How cool yet loud is that...especially at 12:45 in the morning when you are trying to sleep. Like right now.

No comments: