Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Liberia - Thoughts Part 1



The next bunch of posts will consist of my thoughts, observations and prayers during my 11 day trip to Monrovia Liberia with our church. We went to work with Pastor Wesley from the Greater Love Baptist Church and the medical clinic and childrens home he runs. It was a life changing trip and I wanted to share with you the things that stuck out to me.


Nov 30 - Day 1 - travel
So we are sitting at Mayberry airport, just waiting to board the plane. All sorts of flights are being delayed and cancelled because of the snow. It snowed here last night, probably a dusting or so. Someone here said all the flights to New York are cancelled. Hopefully our flights are going to be ok. Delays would stink...but it'll all be good.
---
So this flight has been pushed back to leave at 10:45 instead of 9:30. Super.
--
We are on the plane in right now and some truck broke down in the middle of the taxi area and we can't go by until its cleared up. So we are sitting here. We are cutting it close as it is to make our flight from Chicago to Brussels. Praying we make it. The captain just came on and we are going to be de-iced again so that'll be an additional 10-15 minutes until we take off. It’s gonna be a tight connection.
--
Still sitting on the plane. It’s about 3:15 and we were supposed to leave at 1:30. I'm pretty stinking hungry. They are de-icing the plane right now. Oh and to top it all off, I seemed to have lost my mp3 player. I plugged the headphones into the plane TV so I could watch a show. Well the TV volume stopped working, so I went to listen to music and I lost the mp3 player. I think I had it in my lap and when I got up and fell off...but I can't find it now. Ugh. This stinks :)
--
Sweet sassy molassy...we were late getting into Chicago, but God is good and our flight to Brussels has been delayed as well. They still had to hold it for us, and now we are waiting for our luggage to get transferred over. I'm a little disappointed, this plane doesn't have the TVs on the backs of the seats. And the seats are pretty cramped in. I just hope to sleep most of this trip away. I also hope the food they serve is ok, I am stahhhvin (Boston for starving). I was supposed to sit on the aisle but the guy who was here already took the aisle and I got the window...sweet. And not only that, it's in between 2 windows which is advantageous to me sleeping. I am really sad that I may not get to talk to Wife too much this whole trip. I think I may have talked to her for the last time for 10 days. Ugh...that's super sad.
--
So I'm sitting here listening to music and I feel you Lord. I've felt so alone, apart from you, but you are here with me right now and man I love you so much Father. You have shown that no detail is too small for your plan. Sitting on this flight to Brussels, because you called us here and held the flight and guided us here safely. I'm rambling Father but I feel you here and needed to take this time to worship you for all you are. Lord please keep your sovereign hand of peace, love and joy over my house and family, as I know you will lord, because they aren't my family if they aren't your family first and foremost. God I am so ready for you to use me. I've been ready for weeks now, but wasn't sure you really wanted to use me, but you have filled me with your warmth daddy and I thank you so much. It's with all my heart and love lord...amen
--
Hey its 8:30 and I finally ate...woohoo. Only now I'm not sure if I feel better or worse *burp! I'm going to lay back now and hopefully sleep for a good long while. Oh and it was roast beef with mashed "potatoes"...it tasted decent...like a TV dinner.
--
Ok so I haven't napped yet. Tim brought someone over to me who is a Romanian man, working in Chicago who's been doing work with churches in Romania and in Chicago. He gave me a cd with a PowerPoint presentation. I look forward to seeing it. I'm not so sure what this opportunity may or may not be...but God is good. I gave him my card and hopefully we can start a dialogue as to the works he is doing and see what Gods plans are.

No comments: