Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Liberia - Thoughts Part 5



Dec 6 - day 7 – Wednesday – Clinic and Orphange
Today we will be heading over to the orphanage. It'll be my first trip over...I'm anxious to see it. Afterwards we will be going back to the clinic to hang the medicine shelves and take inventory of the medicines. I just saw the video mike put up today and it'll make Wife cry.
--
So we are back at the clinic now. We went to the orphanage and man oh man. They should be commended and praised for doing all they are doing in the conditions they live in. It was so sad to see the room about the size of my bathroom or even smaller, that sleeps 2 precious babies. The rooms for the girls is so small that the 2 bunk beds can't fit in the room properly. And the boys rooms are the same, too small for the beds. There are 13 girls in one room, then 7 boys in 1 room and 8 in another. The mattresses, or lack thereof is depressing. One of the girls beds had a 1/2 inch thick piece of foam. The bathroom is an outhouse. The well for water to clean with is about 300 feet away and the drinking well is about 1/4 mile away from the home. The clothes they were wearing were all tattered and torn. I pray for this home and those kids. They are so precious and god is so good, they are getting an education and provisions and exposure to god.
--
I'm in bed now and I feel so guilty. There are kids sleeping on the floor in the hall way. Ugh. I don't know what to do...if I offer my pillow or mattress to one others won't have anything. My stomach hurts. Other things to journal about: we put up the shelves at the clinic today. All the medicine is in the clinic and Pastor Wesley will put it all up when he is ready. I also bought a cool African wood carving of the Liberian handshake. He threw in a couple of huts as well.
--
I just went out and gave the boy outside my door my pillow. I couldn’t wake him, so I hope he wakes up and can/will use it.
--


From tonight Bible Study: Pastor Wesley said this quote and I really loved it "Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care". How unbelievable true is that?

No comments: