Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Liberia - Thoughts Part 2




Dec 1 -- Day 2 -- travel
25 minutes until we land in Brussels. Whew is my back and rear end sore. Hey, only 8 more hours to go...yipee! I slept a little bit and I missed the breakfast they served.
--
Just about to land in Brussels and man it looks just like America. The roads have houses on them that look like your average American cul-de-sac. It looks very pretty, and very green.
--
So we are now waiting for our flight to Monrovia. Should be boarding in 20 minutes or so. I was a bit disappointed that getting off the plane here it didn't smell like waffles and chocolate!
--
Ok so we are on the plane from Brussels to Monrovia, its boarding right now. Only 8 short hours till we are there. I'm sitting next to a man you is reading something in Arabic...I don't think he speaks English. It would have been interesting to talk to him about Jesus and hear his thoughts. I think I could have talked to him about showers too :). Oh and once again, I'm hungry. That's been the running theme so far for this 1 day old trip.
--
I just missed out on ice cream!!! Dang it all. I fell asleep.
--
Lord I just humbly come to you right now and ask for your continued protection and guidance. Lord there are going to be times of weariness, sadness and tiredness. I give those feelings to you and just ask lord that you be with Wife and the kids as they begin their Friday. I thank you father for the blessings you have given me and it’s my prayer that I will glorify you in my actions, thoughts and words. I love you lord, amen.
--
Landed in Monrovia and man oh man its hot here and the baggage claim was like a zoo. Pastor Wesley is being talked to by the customs agents. We have an enormous amount of stuff here with us. Getting out of the airport is very chaotic. And frankly it doesn't look like an airport.
--
So we just finished driving to pastor Wesley’s place. There was 13 of us in a van and it is stinkin hot and stinkin stinky. Its amazing to see the barbed wire and military personal with huge machine guns. Its really dark here so its was hard to see the landscape and the people. Every other house had power I think by generator while others had candles.
--
This is surreal...all the things I have seen on tv. I'm outside a hotel/store looking around at the store and markets and the people hanging around in the darkness of the night dancing and singing.
--
So its about 10:30 here on Friday night and there is no water to wash up with and I am beyond nasty right now. It is so hot and humid here, I can't even begin to think what'll be like during the day. I'm bunking up with Dr. Kelly Briden (sp?) from Michigan. We had a big mattress to sleep on, but we ended up giving it to the girls, who had one mattress to share between the 5 of them. We are supposed to get another mattress tomorrow. We are to be up for breakfast at 7am tomorrow. I'm gonna be tired. :) its ok though...I feel like this is a true sacrifice. Pastor Wesley has done so much in preparation for our coming. I pray that we are a light to him and we can glorify Jesus in all we do these next few days. Pastor Wesley seems to have planned out for us all of our activities. I think, by the time this trip is done...I'm gonna be one tired dude. I'm going to go outside and spend some time with people.
--
So as much as I may complain about how sore I am...sleeping on the floor, in Africa, with no running water...that's missions work to me. Ok back to trying to sleep. I love you god...I love you Wife, Uno, Dos, Quatro, Seis. I miss you guys

No comments: