Monday, September 10, 2007

Day 2....


Today we went as saw the medical clinic. It was so awesome to see how much has been done. They were in the process of tiling the floors so there will be no more cement dust for the patients. Also they have started to build a radio station for Pastor to broadcast his sermons.

He also showed us the building that will be known as the Marion house. It's the infant home for the babies to stay in, away from the older children and potential illnesses. It is named after a baby girl who was going to be adopted, but got sick and passed away a few months ago. Her to be adoptive parents have raised money to help build it. It's being built on the property that Pastor Wesley and his family live on. It'll have a place for the infants, an office for Addy's Hope as well as a second floor for visitors, missionaries and most importantly adoptive parents.

We are spending the rest of the day today at the hotel and man, 5 kids and a baby...that is one loud combo. We did have one "emergency" after breakfast when Ryan picked big Z out of his stroller and dripping out of his pants was a mustard looking, sulfer spelling substance. It was absolutely nasty. He had exploded all out of his pants and up his back. Ryan and I both kind of froze, he held Siete out with two arms and just held him there...I...well I just stared for about 30 seconds. I had no idea what to do :)...finally I came too and got the wipes, cleaned up Siete's legs and stroller then up into the shower we went...oh the joy of diapers.

I realized today that most of the clothes we brought Quatro and Siete are just way too big. the shorts I put on Siete today he needed a belt, so I think this will be a week of onsies and 1 piece outfits. Too bad I didn't bring him a nice pant suit.

It's going to be an interesting dynamic when we all get home. I know Dos and Uno are going to want to play with Tres and Quatro and I'm sure they will do fine, but the Liberian kids are very hard to understand. And the way these kids interact with each other, it's like they lived in an orphanage or something. They are surprisingly sharing, but also very territorial. If a toy or food is dropped, they will yell at each other to get it back, but if they feel like sharing, they'll offer up the same toy that they just fought for.

Today Quatro has really come out of his shell, almost too much :) He is one of the louder kids and very vocal with what he wants. I was able to make him giggle and he responded to tickles. I was so nervous last night that he was going to be so quiet and withdrawn, but he seems like he's going to fit in just right as a .

Tomorrow will be a day at the children's home to visit and give out the adoptive parents gifts they sent to their new children. Wednesday is a day to just hang out at the hotel (which could be 1 loooooong day), Thursday is our trip to the embassy, Friday back to the embassy to pick up visa's (God willing), Saturday there will be a fellowship time with the biological parents and members of the church (not sure I knew about that and trying to figure out how comfortable I am with that), then Sunday we start our short 2 day trek home.

Last 2 things. 1. Thank you all for the comments and emails...nothing like being a 30 yr old guy along in restaurant, weird techno music playing in the background, in the middle of Liberia Africa....wiping tears off my face. I love it!! and 2. God is so stinking amazing...He sent with me the most incredible friend in Ryan...he's 19 years old and is making this trip even more fun than it would have been by myself. I absolutely wouldn't have been able to do this with out him!!! Great job Reich's in raising one heck of a kid!!

Getting pictures up here is so tough, I apologize for not having more. The internet connection is amazingly, painfully slow.

Love You All!

8 comments:

Jen said...

Randy,

We are so excited and are praying for you all.

I know meeting the bio. parents seems a little strange at first, but it was actually a really cool thing when we met them to say goodbye. Having pics of our kiddos w/ their bio. parents, a pic of each bio. parent, and pics of us all together is something I would NEVER give up. It has been such a blessing to have these memories when we freely talk about it all w/ our children

Jen (home w/ Mawolin, Joseph, and Elizabeth from Liberia in April 07)

Melissa said...

Looks like we are going to miss each other in Liberia, I am leaving Sat and getting there Sunday!! Glad to hear everything is going well, can't wait to meet the kiddos!!

Emily said...

Looks like its time to put up all toys JD can eat!! :) I miss you so much! You are an amazing man to be doing this. I just love you so much. Everytime I think I couldn't love someone more you amaze me and I fall for you again! Send my love all around!

Anonymous said...

Amazing memories! And these are just the first 2 days! I am laughing and aw-ing. What an incredible time.

steffany said...

Hi Randy,
Thank you so much for letting me know how Marions House is coming. She was/is my baby girl. You brought much jot to me today. If you get a chance, would you mind taking a picture of it for me. I would be eternally grateful. Thank you!

Unknown said...

For such a time as this...... God has placed you guys there to be His love for the those who need to know His love. I pray strength over you as you complete the paper work, and to be a light in all you do. Randy, and Ryan you guys exemplify what a man of God should look like. Keep going!!!!
Mike

HollyAnn said...

Precious pictures of you kids! :) I love it! Glad everything is going so well. Praying like crazy for Thursday! If you want to go the beach Wednesday, just tell Pastor Wesley! That might break up the day a little! Take care and hug all the kids for me!

HollyAnn said...

Precious pictures of you kids! :) I love it! Glad everything is going so well. Praying like crazy for Thursday! If you want to go the beach Wednesday, just tell Pastor Wesley! That might break up the day a little! Take care and hug all the kids for me!