Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Just another Tuesday in Liberia

PICTURE REMOVED
We went to the Greater Love Children's Home today. We took tons of pictures and handed out gifts to the kids. It was a mad house!!! It was fun to be able to give to the to-be adopted kids the packages their new families sent for them. The older kids seemed to "get it" but the little guys and girls had no idea what I was about :) All the kids really like looking through the photo albums families send. It was tough leaving though, so many kids were crying, thinking that this was their turn to go home. One little girl kept hugging my leg. I also felt bad for Tres (our little 6 year old girl). She was crying a lot before we left and she was really clingy to Ryan and I when we were at the Children's Home. I'm not too sure bringing them back there is a smart idea, but it seems like that is the customary thing to do.

Pastor Wesley has done some great work at the orphanage. There is a cement wall that now surrounds the facility and an additional class room was built. BUT, more importantly is the new well on the property that a previous adoptive family raised the money to have drilled. Now, instead of walking 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile to get water, they can just go right outside. Thank God for that!

Tomorrow will be a hang out day at the hotel, Which really means, scramble to come up with ways to keep the kids entertained :) Glad I brought Ryan. Hopefully the DVD's I brought and music and toys will keep them entertained. So far the kids have been pretty good. Kevin and I keep our doors open for most of the time we are here, so the kids run around from room to room and play together. I'm glad Kevin is here adopting his 3 cute kiddos. It's helped having another person to talk to, but even more so it's helped the kids (mostly Tres) have fun playing with her friends.

As far as these kiddos go...I'll tell you what, it is EASY to fall in love with Tres. She absolutely precious. She acts like a 6 year old and has a little bit of a selfish side (to be expected) but she is so mild mannered you can accept it and still want to give her a hug. She accepts a short "Don't do that" and moves on, usually with a smile. Only time she won't respond to me is when she is sad, which has only been 2 or 3 times so far. Siete is just a cool little dude. He is sick I think but he just hangs out and rarely makes a noise. He is however in that I want to reach out and touch everything in and out of my reach and whine if I can't have it stage. Also playing the drop my toy and daddy will pick up game....I love that game...he usually wins. Cinco...I'm still confused about. I'm not sure if he is just really good at playing the whining game or he really is THAT whiney :)He can be and is very adorable but he is absolutely stubborn. If he can't have his way...then he'll just whine and cry and still try to do what he wants. Oh and the kid can eat!!! Unfortunately the by-product of that is: 5 trips to the potty and all I can say is it the most unHOLY of experiences.

FYI: I didn't proof read this, so I apologize for any misspellings or weird looking sentences!!!

Thanks for all the notes guys....We love it and can't wait to be back home.

HE Is our Solid Rock!

5 comments:

Chuck said...

Randy,

We are praying for y'all - you, Ryan, JD, Hannah, and Zeke. Can't wait to see you.

Chuck and Janet

HollyAnn said...

I love your descriptions of the kids! Thanks for loving on my Obi today! I can't wait to see your pictures of him when you get home to see how "big" he really is! Praying for you and trying to keep Emily company while you are gone! She probably is ready for me to quit calling so much! :)

Jen said...

Randy,

I'm loving to read your blog (and Kevin's) all about the trip. It makes me want to be back in Liberia again! Maybe you guys could try the beach (at least w/ the older kiddos) - ours LOVED it!

I'm so glad that the well is working well and is helping. What a blessing for GLCH! Can you pass along a "HELLO" from Joseph, Mawolin, and Elizabeth to Fannie, Giftee, Charles, and Hannah? Thanks! We are praying for you all!

Jeff and Jen

Anonymous said...

Robin, Isaac, and myself are praying for you here in Kenya! Great updates on all that is going on in Liberia. It warmed my heart! Can't wait to meet the kiddos so I can squeeze their cheeks off!

Love to all of you-
Megan and the gang

Anonymous said...

Randy,

Hang in there! Sounds like your doing a great job of being "mom." Your com group is praying and can't wait to see the new Wickham bunch!

Amie